At our school, we establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, are encouraged to talk, and are listened to. We ensure children know that there are adults in the school whom they can approach if they are worried and we include opportunities in the PSHE curriculum for children to develop the skills they need to recognise and stay safe from abuse.
We follow the procedures set out by the local safeguarding children board and take account of guidance issued by the DFE to:
Ensure we have a designated senior person for child protection who has received appropriate training and support for this role.
- Ensure we have a nominated governor responsible for child protection.
- Ensure every member of staff (including temporary and supply staff and volunteers) and governing body knows the name of the designated senior person responsible for child protection and their role.
- Ensure all staff and volunteers understand their responsibilities in being alert to the signs of abuse and responsibility for referring any concerns to the designated senior person responsible for child protection.
- Ensure that parents have an understanding of the responsibility placed on the school and staff for child protection by setting out its obligations in the school prospectus.
- Notify social services if there is an unexplained absence of more than two days of a pupil who is on the child protection register.
- Develop effective links with relevant agencies and co-operate as required with their enquiries regarding child protection matters including attendance at case conferences.
- Ensure safe recruitment practices are always followed.
- In all cases where abuse is suspected or a sustainable allegation is made, teachers and other members of staff should report the information to the designated teacher. The designated teacher should refer these cases to, or discuss them with, the investigating agencies according to the procedures established by the local area safeguarding children board and for maintained schools by the local authority (LA).
Download Our Policies & Documents
We also have a booklet on Safeguarding for Students, to help them with any safeguarding issues, please see below: