We are unapologetic about having high expectations about the wearing of our uniform. All students are required to wear full school uniform at all times, including to and from school. Dealing with inappropriate uniform matters detracts from time devoted to learning so thank you in advance for your support in this matter.
Students who are not in correct uniform, and who do not have a note from their parent explaining the reason, may be sent home to change or secluded from other students. If pupils wear non-uniform items to school, they will be confiscated. Failure to hand items over will result in a student being internally excluded for failing to follow staff requests.
Please note that we will not return confiscated items to students, but only to their parents. Please also note that we will only return confiscated items to parents on a Friday after school, unless an appointment has previously been made with the House Team. Please do not turn up unannounced demanding your child’s clothing, as we expect support from parents in ensuring that these items are not worn in the first place and that parents do not undermine the school in matters of uniform. Please also note that we will not replace items that are mislaid if they are confiscated.
We’d like to thank the vast majority of parents who help us to ensure that proper uniform is worn by their children.
The uniform of Harlington School is as follows:
Boys & Girls
- Navy HS Blazer from School Supplier, or a high street Navy Blazer with HS Badge from school supplier (Compulsory)
- Navy HS Tie from School Supplier ( Compulsory)
- Black ‘Business Style’ Trousers – see uniform notes
- White Shirt – hard collar. Girls may wear ‘collar and revere’ blouse and no tie if preferred.
- Black Shoes that can be polished – Trainers, boots and canvas shoes are not permitted. ‘Kickers’ are acceptable.
- Navy HS ‘Stripe’ Jumper from School Supplier (if required)
- Navy or Black turban / hijab ( if required)
- Plain Navy or Black coat – see uniform notes
Girls may also wear
- Black ‘A’ Line Knee or Ankle Length Skirt. –see uniform notes.
- Navy HS ‘Scrunchie’ from School Supplier (If required) – no other hair adornments please.
Boys and Girls
- HS PE Polo Shirt and Socks ( compulsory)
- HS Shorts or Track Bottoms ( compulsory)
- Sports Trainers with non-marking soles – No canvas Plimsolls please
- HS Sports Fleece ( optional)
All items of clothing should be clearly marked with the student’s name. Lost property will be kept in Welfare.
- Full uniform, must be worn to and from school as well as in school.
- No ‘hoodies’ or other sports wear are permitted, including wearing them to and from school.
- Shirts should be tucked into trousers/skirts.
- Skirts should be knee length or full length and be of a plain school style. Uneven hems, lycra style and frills are not allowed.
- Trousers should be ‘business style’ not be made of denim or other fashion materials. They must be full length. No skinny styles are permitted.
- An abaya, if worn, should be worn underneath school uniform. A school shirt and jumper must be visible and worn over the top. If trousers are worn underneath then they must be plain black business style trousers.
- Boots, plimsolls and backless ‘flip-flop’ design shoes are not permitted.
- Visible body piercings are not permitted. Students will be asked to cover or remove the jewellery, irrespective of when the piercing was carried out.
- Make up, if worn must be discrete. Earrings must be small, flat studs only, and a small nose stud may be worn. All other jewellery must not be worn.
- The Head’s decision on what constitutes acceptable items is final.
January 2019 update to uniform in respect of artificial nails – Please Click Here
Buying Your Uniform
Harlington School uniform can be bought from our supplier – PMG Schoolwear – either online or in person – we also stock a small amount of uniform in school.
Unit 4, Swan Wharf Business Centre,
Uxbridge, Middlesex. UB8 2RA
Telephone: 01895 809 321
Please contact your child’s Head of Year for a confidential discussion if you are having difficulty with the cost of uniform. There is no longer an automatic entitlement to uniform assistance on receipt of free school meals or other benefits, and indeed more than 50% of the school is in receipt of this, but we will try hard to consider requests wherever possible.
In severe weather, the school occasionally will operate a ‘Snowday’ uniform amendment. The Website will inform parents if this is the case, and give full details.
There are a number of items that a student needs to be able to take a full and active part in learning at Harlington School. These are listed below, and should be carried by students at all times:
- Black or blue writing pens.
- Plain and coloured pencils.
- Ruler (12 inch or 30cm).
- Pencil case.
- A Scientific Calculator
- A Mathematics Set
- A small pocket dictionary.
- A school bag (Rucksack is best) that is large enough to carry A4 exercise books and a PE Kit.
Students should also bring a reading book to school every Wednesday.
Students are encouraged to purchase a foreign language dictionary when they begin their languages lessons, and to purchase a technology apron for art and D & T lessons. However, these are not compulsory.
A student pocket planner and lanyard will be provided at the start of the school year. If a student loses their pocket planner or lanyard, they must pay for a replacement, available from their Head of Year or the Finance Department.